Sunday, February 22, 2009

Lord of Music!!

I guess all of us would know whom I meant. The one and only Mr. AR Rahman. Congratulations on the spectacular victory at Oscar. For many of us in the generation-next, he has been our inspiration. Personally I have grown up listening to his songs. Right from his "Ennavalae" in Kadhalan to "Behka" from Ghajni.. ARR ne ham sab ko behkadiya hai :)

When I first saw the movie ROJA, I was spellbound by the music, and the song Chinna Chinna Roja was played again and again wherever I went. Then Kadhalan, Bombay, Alaipayuthe, Jeans, Mudhalvan, Guru, Sivaji.. right to the completely awesome Delhi 6 music, the lord has truly given some amazing hits.. No comparisons ever!! I was fortunate to go to one of his concerts, where he rocked and held the audience sway for 4 hours. I was completely rolled over by the concert. I guess my friend suren wud agree with that too.

When I first heard about him, I had searched for some information on him. He was born as Dinesh in a small family and his father had been working as music director in Kerala movies. Unfortunately he father died when he was very young, say abt 14 years. After that he had come to Chennai to work in Film music. His sister was afflicted with a special disease that none of the doctors could cure. When a muslim hakim(Muslim physician) cured her, dinesh and his family converted into muslims and he changed his name to Allah Rakhah Rahman, which means a person who is unique and great in a crore of people. True to his name ARR is one of the brightest shining star in the indian sky.

Even though ARR has got the award, I would have been more happy, had he got the award for a movie directed by an Indian. I still await that day when our movies will make it to the grandstand- The Oscars. However, till then, I and 150 crore people will cherish the success of the lord of music. Long Live ARR.. May he give us more and more good music in the years to come..

1 comment:

Peppermint Patty said...

Wow, lovely post! esp the personal story abt ARR is very insightful...
And I'd think and rightly so, Jai Ho, is perhaps not one of his bestest creations...yet he deserved an award of this pedigree for his sheer calibre and genius!

And abt the Foreign dirctor...one of the most significant reasons the movie was considered favorably was bcos of a native director from their point of view!!