Thursday, April 17, 2008

Journey to Small glory

Three words rung hard in my ears after I had completed my GMAT exam last year-"GOD Saved Me". I had been preparing hard for that exam like never before. My mom even joked that if I had taken my 12th exams this seriously I could have ended with much better marks. My job made my task of preparing my exams even more challenging. I had to keep pushing myself harder, something that I had never done in my life before. But I had doubts whether I would be able to pull it off. Studying 4-5 hours a day would not matter, the end result should show, I felt.

I had started being very religious when I started out my preps for GMAT. Something inside me told me that I would succeed. The D day arrived. I can still remember how tensed I was. :) I had my slot at 5:30 PM. I had woken up quite early that day and couldn't sleep the whole day. My eyes were literally swollen when I reached the center. I just recollected an innings from Master Blaster Sachin where he had struggled against Brett Lee but stayed on to score 79 precious runs which helped India win 2 days ago. I too was determined to struggle. I started the test and time just flew. For the first time while taking the GMAT my concentration was on the question alone and not on the time and the number of questions. Four hours just flew by and I completed the test. I had to enter my undergrad information in the system and I wanted to ask the administrator as to when I would receive the score, as to when I saw the score appearing on the system. I had got 710... My eyes just popped out. I picked my things and left the room. My throat was parched and I would not speak. The score was very very special as I had never ever reached 700 score before in all my tests. I just sat there on the reception chair not knowing what to do ;).. then it suddenly struck me that I could have seen the score wrongly and waited for the printed confirmation and my friend also to come out, who had also taken the exam along with me. Unfortunately he didn’t score well. But my head was spinning.

Then I took my bike out and started driving towards home bewildered by the events. I circled all the roads.. didn’t know where I was traveling.. Finally I reached home 1 hour later, a journey which should have taken me less than 20 minutes. I went home and saw my parents watching TV. They had all along supported my in exam prep and were keenly looking towards me for the score. I wanted to surprise them and gave them a dejected look. One that would have surely sent shivers down my mom. She had my pillar of support right through. I gave her the printed score card. She saw it and she could not believe that. Dad was so escatic that he hugged and lifted me off the ground :) mom was damn happy and she thrust in a big sweet inside my mouth. That’s ma mom, I guess after all we all live for these moments of joy. Then it was phone time and I called all my friends and told them. Most of them who knew about my GMAT exam preparation score wouldn’t believe me ;) I never ever received so many congratulatory messages in entire life.

My journey towards my dream of pursuing an MBA had just began..

No comments: